When most people think of snacks, they think of unhealthy junk food like candy bars and potato chips. But there are plenty of healthy snack options available if you know where to look. In fact, many of the best snacks for you are also some of the tastiest.
Here are a few examples of healthy sweet snacks that will satisfy your cravings without loading up on calories or sugar.
Healthy Sweet Snacks:
1. Dried fruits and nuts: This classic snack is a great option for when you need a quick pick-me-up. Dried fruits are packed with natural sugars and nutrients, while nuts provide protein and healthy fats. Just be sure to watch your portions, as dried fruits can be high in calories.
2. Fresh fruits and vegetables: If you’re looking for something light and refreshing, reach for some fresh fruits or vegetables instead. A few of our favorites include grapes, carrots, apples, and cucumbers.
3. Homemade trail mix: Trail mix is a great option for when you’re on the go. You can easily make your own by mixing together your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and whole grain cereals. Just be sure to watch your portions, as it can be easy to eat too much.
4. Yogurt: Yogurt is a delicious and healthy snack option that’s perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth. Opt for plain yogurt and add in some fresh fruits or a drizzle of honey for sweetness. Greek yogurt is also a great option as it’s higher in protein than regular yogurt.
5. Dark chocolate: Craving something chocolatey? Reach for a piece of dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate or white chocolate. Dark chocolate is lower in sugar and calories, and it also provides some health benefits thanks to its antioxidants. Just be sure to choose a brand that’s at least 70% cocoa.
6. Fruit leather: Fruit leather is a great option for when you’re craving something sweet and chewy. It’s made by pureeing fruits and then spreading the mixture onto a dehydrator tray. Once it’s dried, you can cut it into strips or shapes. Be sure to look for fruit leathers that are made with just fruit and no added sugar.
7. Popcorn: Popcorn is a whole grain snack that can be either savory or sweet, depending on how you make it. For a healthy snack, try making your own popcorn at home with just a little bit of oil and sea salt. You can also add in some herbs or spices for flavor. If you’re looking for a sweeter option, top your popcorn with a drizzle of honey or chocolate.
8. Honey: Craving something sweet? Reach for a spoonful of honey instead of sugar. Honey is a natural sweetener that’s packed with nutrients and antioxidants. Just be sure to choose raw, unprocessed honey for the most health benefits.
9. Rice cakes: Rice cakes are a light and airy snack that come in a variety of flavors. They’re made from rice that’s been puffed up and then pressed into cake form. You can find them plain or flavored with things like fruit or chocolate. Be sure to read the labels, as some brands can add in a lot of sugar or other unhealthy ingredients.
10. Smoothies: Smoothies are a great way to get your fruit fix in a quick and easy way. You can make them with just about any combination of fruits, vegetables, and dairy or non-dairy milk. If you’re looking for a sweet treat, try adding in some honey, chocolate, or even ice cream. Just be sure to watch your portions, as smoothies can be high in calories.
These are just a few examples of healthy sweet snacks that will satisfy your cravings without loading up on calories or sugar. So next time you’re feeling snacky, reach for one of these options instead of unhealthy junk food. Your body will thank you!